Anxiety Solutions remains open but we will be doing all sessions via our online video platform (just like Zoom/Skype) rather than in person.
(UPDATED AS OF 10/9/2020) Notice to all of our clients and prospective new clients:
Therapy requires being indoors in close quarters for a prolonged period of time, which is unfortunately a higher risk type of activity for spreading Covid.
While we could in theory do therapy with masks on, this seems much more detrimental to communication and the therapy process than meeting online without masks.
- Feedback from our clients about online therapy has been extremely positive. Our platform works well and clients have said that they actually love the convenience of it.
Given this positive feedback from clients (and our therapists too), we feel that online therapy is an excellent alternative to meeting in person and since we have been having great experiences with this alternative, there seems to be little reason to take the risks of returning to in person therapy until this is over.
Benefits of Online Therapy:
- You get the same therapy you would get if we were seeing you in person
- Research studies have shown that online therapy is just as effective as therapy done in person
- Convenience: sessions can be done from home and don’t require driving to our office, so they take less of your time
- It allows access to top quality, specialized treatment for those who would otherwise not be able to access it near them, such as clients who:
- Don’t have anxiety/OCD specialists where they live
- Can’t make it to our office due to distance or scheduling issues
- Are homebound because of their anxiety or OCD.
If you are a new client interested in our services, you may contact us like normal and we will get you set up to do online therapy sessions.
Frequently asked questions about online therapy:
In online therapy, isn’t some of the person-to-person interaction lost?
- No, the vast majority of the time we have used our online therapy platform, the connection works very well and the interaction feels normal. The picture and sound are typically good quality and there is typically no lag time. In our experience, it does not end up being much different from sitting in the same room talking in person. Clients have had very positive feedback about it as well. If you are hesitant to try online therapy, we are happy to set up a test call with you with our admin (at no charge) to show you how well the platform works.
Is online therapy as effective as in person therapy?
- Yes. Many research studies have been done comparing the effectiveness of in person therapy and online therapy and these studies have found no difference in treatment outcomes. Our own personal experience over the past 7 months since the pandemic began has also been that it is just as effective. In fact, we have found that in some cases there is even an advantage to online therapy because there are certain exercises in Exposure Therapy that require the client to practice with certain objects/situations at home and we can now do that live during therapy sessions, whereas we could not do that if we were at the office.
Can’t I just wait until the pandemic ends and we can meet in person again?
- While like everyone else we wish this whole thing would end tomorrow, it sounds as if the pandemic still may not be over for a while. While we understand many people would prefer to meet in person, we feel meeting online is better than having to most likely wait months to get treatment in person.
Is the connection secure?
Yes, the platform we use, doxy.me, is designed for medical use so it is HIPAA compliant and heavily encrypted to protect your confidentiality.
What if I don’t have a private area at home from which I can do sessions without anyone hearing?
- This is a very understandable issue. Your confidentiality is important and we do not want you to have to risk others hearing your session. We recommend trying to get creative to find some place you could do it in private or asking others for some privacy during your session time. We can help you try to come up with ideas for ways to make sure you can have privacy to conduct sessions.
- We are also offering to purchase a white noise machine for you and send it to you at no charge if that would help with privacy at home. White noise machines are very effective and reliable at blocking sound and we use them at our office to protect confidentiality. If you would like to request one from us, please contact our admin at >.
- We know these are not perfect or ideal answers to the issue of privacty at home, but again, we do not want anyone to have to miss out on treatment because of this situation. Finding a solution to be able to make therapy still happen is better than suffering with anxiety without treatment.